With the big day approaching, you’ve got the perfect gown, the shoes and the veil. The big question now is: what to wear under your wedding dress? If you want to feel sexy but secure, we’ve found the best bridal undergarments for your wedding day (and night!).
Wedding Undergarments by Gown
Some of the accessories you may find under wedding dresses include a silk lace garter, suspender belt and wedding thong. But you also need to find the right undergarments for your type of gown.
What to Wear Under Wedding Dress: Backless
The backless dress is a very popular choice with modern brides as it is an elegant and tasteful way of showing some skin. But choosing the best underwear for your dress can be difficult. Visible straps or clasps can ruin the whole look.
When choosing undergarments for sheer dresses, a strapless nude bra will give you support without showing through the dress. If you’d like more support, there are many types of shapewear for backless wedding dresses. We’ve picked out this Fashion Forms U Plunge Backless Strapless Bodysuit from ASOS to give full body support without straps. Or if you’d prefer a more bridal look, there are many choices of backless bodysuits in white lace.
If you have your heart set on a backless dress, don’t forget to take your choice of low back shapewear for wedding dress fittings.
What to Wear Under Wedding Dress: Plunge
The plunge dress is a sexier choice of wedding gown, but it can be trickier to find a suitable bra. These dresses tend to be more tightly fitted, so your wedding dress underwear needs to be chosen more carefully. Fashion Forms Seamless U Plunge Bra will give you the lift you need without showing any unsightly lines.
If matching wedding dress underwear is a must for you, there are many bridal plunge bra and brief sets on the market. Figleaves Curve have some of the best bridal undergarments for curvier ladies.
If you have a particularly low plunging neckline you may find it easier to have a bra sewn into your gown at your wedding dress fitting. Fashion tape can also be good item to have on hand if you’re feeling nervous about showing too much.
What to Wear Under Wedding Dress: Strapless
The strapless wedding dress is a classic, with sweetheart and straight necklines being the most popular among brides. If you’re wondering what to wear under a strapless wedding dress, there are two main options: a strapless bra or a wedding dress bra and slip. A padded slip will smooth your curves while giving you the support of a push up bra.
The best bra for strapless wedding dresses is a push up bra, like the Refined Glamour Ultimate Strapless Wonderbra. You’ll feel secure and supported, with a touch of lace so you still feel sexy.
If you’ve chosen a wedding dress with a straight neckline, a bandeau bra – like this offering from ASOS – will fit the silhouette perfectly. Pair with matching high waisted panties to pull in your stomach.
What to Wear Under Wedding Dress: Spaghetti Straps
It can be confusing when it comes to choosing the right undergarments for a spaghetti strap wedding dress. Do you choose straps to match the dress, or have no straps at all?
We think we have found the best bridal undergarments for your spaghetti strap gown: Ultimo Ivory low back strapless bra with matching high-waisted knickers. If you’re looking for shapewear you can feel confident and sexy in, this may be the choice for you. The low back, strapless bra won’t show under any kind of dress, but works particularly well if you have spaghetti straps and don’t want added lines.
If you have a more unusual neckline (like the high neck wedding dress pictured below left), the sheer lace soft bra from Pretty Little Thing is a great wedding gown bra for those who don’t need much support but want full coverage.
Undergarments for Wedding Dresses: Ultimate Guide
Wedding Dresses Underwear by Type
- Backless Dress – A body sculpting backless, strapless bra will give you invisible support.
- Plunge Dress – A seamless plunge bra is the best option for a bra-less look.
- Strapless Dress – A firm control slip will give full support and smooth your curves. If you have a fuller bust, a Wonderbra will give full support without straps.
- Spaghetti Straps – A strapless bra is still the best choice with spaghetti straps. But if you feel that you need straps, you can buy clear ones.
Wedding Dress Undergarments by Body Shape
- For curvier ladies who need more support, Figleaves has a ‘Curve’ range which is luxurious and classy.
- For those who don’t need much support, a soft lace bra will make comfortable wedding dress underwear.
Best Bra for Wedding Dress
- Whether you have chosen a sweetheart, straight or high neckline, match your bra shape to your wedding dress shape.
- Confused what to wear under wedding dress corset? With a well-fitting corset, no bra should be needed. But if you want a bit of security choose a bandeau bra or a low back, fitted bra.
- If you haven’t picked out your dress yet, you can’t go wrong with a low back, strapless bra with matching knickers
Lingerie Under Wedding Dress
- Don’t forget about your wedding dress panties – chose a thong or shapewear for no VPL.
- If matching underwear is a must for the wedding night, look at bridal lingerie ranges in white, nude and ivory.
- If you want wedding dress underwear that you can wear with any type of gown, choose a strapless bodysuit.
- Don’t forget the finishing touches – a garter, suspenders and stockings will complete your bridal ensemble.
Wedding Lingerie For Under Dress: Final Note
Now you know what to wear under your wedding dress and where to buy wedding dress undergarments, it’s just a matter of choosing the right type for your fit of dress. Whether you’re going backless or strapless, with this guide you should have no trouble finding the right underwear for your wedding day. That’s one more thing to tick off your wedding list!
Read more great articles on women’s fashion here at alexie.co.