Backless sweaters are a key piece of clothing that every woman should have in her wardrobe. It is a subtle, sexy trend that is a lot easier to wear than you think. We’ve chosen our favourite 10 backless sweaters to give you some inspiration.
The open-back trend is a chic alternative to showing cleavage, that can be worn by all types of women. Don’t think that the sweater is just for winter though. An oversized sweater can be thrown over a pair of jeans, but looks equally as good with your shorts in summer. The important thing is to choose the right knit for the season. Also, backless sweaters don’t mean you have to show your back. They can be worn over a shirt for work, or a dress when you want to look modern and stylish.
Best Bras for Backless Tops
Before you find your backless sweater you need the right bra. Just as showing bra straps is not attractive, you don’t want your clasp to ruin your look. The best backless, strapless bras from are adhesive, giving you full support while hiding any evidence. For extra support choose the underwired bra with transparent adhesive wings.
If you don’t feel comfortable without straps you could wear a clear back bra with invisible straps to make them less noticeable. You can also buy low back strap converters, which work well if your sweater isn’t completely backless.
Our Top 10 Backless Sweaters
1. ASOS Jumper with Tie Back – £30 – ASOS
This backless grey sweater from ASOS is perfect for those looking for a long, jumper to take them across the seasons. The grey ribbed knit with contrast black tie-back ribbon can be styled with black jeans and a pair of black strappy shoes for a party. The tied back also means that you can show as much, or as little, skin as you want.
This fine knit white backless sweater is lightweight enough to wear in summer. The relaxed fit makes it perfect to throw on over a bikini at the beach, or to wear it casually over a pair of jeans. The snow white colour means that you will always look chic.
3. Cheap Monday Knit Jumper with Open Back – Black – White/Black – £70 – ASOS
This oversized backless sweater comes in black for those who want a jumper that goes with everything, or white/black for a cosy, winter style. The great thing about this sweater is that you can smarten it up with a pair of tailored trousers or just wear over a pair of grey jeans.
4. ASOS Jumper with Open Back – £30.00 – ASOS
This jumper has more of an unconventional style, with a Grosgrain d-ring back tie that can be adjusted. The soft, apricot colour means it can be worn throughout the year. We’ve chosen to pair it with an asymmetric prom skirt to keep with the unconventional look.
5. Majorelle Silver City Sweater in Ivory – £120 – ASOS
This ivory sweater from ASOS is a bit pricier. But it’s worth it when you feel the super-soft-touch knit. It would look gorgeous with a long, flowing skirt, whether you want to wear it to a festive party or to curl up in front of the fire.
6. HELMUT LANG Open-back cotton and cashmere-blend jumper – £330 – Selfridges
If you’re looking for a chic jumper with a simple silhouette, this backless black sweater is the one for you. It is adjustable, with ties at the back, and is the most versatile of backless sweaters. With its cotton and cashmere-blend, this is a luxurious item to invest in. It also comes in agate.
7. DKNY Open-back cable-knit merino wool sweater – £390 – Net-a-Porter
If you’re looking for a stylish alternative to wearing a blazer to work this cropped cable-knit sweater is perfect. This backless chunky sweater that will last for years if you take care of it properly (dry-clean only). Layer it over your white or pale shirt for a chic office look.
8. DION LEE Open-back mélange merino wool sweater – £445 – Net-a-Porter
If you prefer contemporary to classic you may want to invest in this open-back sweater. It brings together the modern, tailored look with the soft wool style. Wear it with black tailored skirt or trousers to complete the contemporary look.
9. Khaki Lattice Back Long Sleeve Jumper – £24.99 – New Look
If you’re not quite brave enough to bare your back, this jumper with a lattice back shows some skin without being too revealing. Pair it with dark bold patterns like dogtooth, checks or tartan. If you want a softer look, this jumper also comes in cream.
10. River Island Lace Back Jumper – £30 – Very
If you want a more elegant look, this backless lace sweater is very subtle. It can be worn with a flowing skirt for special occasions. But looks equally as good over a pair of jeans.
Backless Sweater Inspiration
Here are some celebrity and ‘street style’ looks to give you some inspiration on how to wear your backless sweater. Eirin Kristiansen, fashion blogger and entrepreneur, has chosen to add a necklace, wearing it backwards to complete her look. (bottom right).
How to Wear Your Backless Sweater
- Choose a backless bra to give your backless sweater the full effect.
- Alternatively, pick a matching or contrasting bralet to be seen under your sweater.
- Remember sweater aren’t just for winter. Choose a lighter knit to be worn in the warmer months.
- Choose a fitter sweater for an elegant look, and an oversized sweater for a more casual look.
- At work you can layer your backless sweater over a shirt for a chic look.
- Backless sweaters work well over dresses. Choose a backless dress or one with delicate details to show through.
- If you’re not comfortable with wearing backless try lace back sweaters or ones with a patterned back.
On That Note…
Now you know how to style a backless sweater you can go out choose the right one for you that, like the trend, will be timeless.
Read more great articles on women’s fashion